Sunday, May 31, 2015

Gettysburg

The 8th graders at Powell Middle School do a reenactment of the Gettysburg battle every spring.  We have been in Powell for 21 years and I have never taken the time to stop and watch.  I guess we have never had an 8th grader so I didn't know when they were doing it.  This year I finally got to go and watch because Emma was a Confederate soldier.  I love history and it was amazing to watch the kids portray the Battle of Gettysburg.  It brought tears to my eyes to watch them and hear the story about the battle.  The kids had to build cannons to use and they really worked.  They fired tennis balls at the the other side.  Some kids actually got hit.  Emma and a group from her class built a cannon, but it blew up before the battle.  I am so excited to see some of the Civil War sites when we spend the next year living in Virginia.

Here is the reenactment in pictures:

The Confederate Army ready to march


Emma marching off to battle



Cannons made by the students







No comments:

Post a Comment