Sunday, August 30, 2015

Dr. Wiggins retirement party (A catch up Post)

I knew the day was coming that Dr. Wiggins would retire.  I have trusted Dr. Wiggins since the first day I met him when Joshua had only been home two weeks.  He carried a feeling of peace when we came into a room.  To me he looked like President Henry B. Eyring, maybe that was part of why I trusted him so much.  When we went to see him in October he told us he was retiring soon.  I hoped they would do a reception or party so I could take Joshua to see him again.

On July 12th they held his retirement party at a park in Billings.  Neil couldn't go, he was up in the Bighorn mountains with the young men.  I really wanted to go so I asked Bethany to go with me.  We took Joshua and Lydia.  I don't like to drive very far, I don't think there are very many people I would go to Billings on a busy Saturday to wish them a happy retirement.  It meant a lot to me to go.

Dr. Wiggins was a children's doctor through and through. His retirement party was all about the children he has helped.  He served hot dogs and hamburgers.  There were clowns and face painting artists.  He gave out coupons for ice creams from the street vendor.  It was a fun afternoon.  I got to meet Dr. Wiggins wife and daughters.  I got the thank them for sharing Dr. Wiggins with us and tell them what a hero he is to our family.

Melissa, Dr. Wiggins nurse, is also moving on.  I feel as strongly about her as I do Dr. Wiggins.  She has been perfect for our family.  She helps me not to worry and lets me know I am doing alright.  If she wasn't working with heart kids she could be a children's photographer.  I have never seen anyone help children be comfortable and get smiles like she can.  She always has a hug and a smile for the moms and the kids.  She always remembers our names and asks about us.  She truly has been a blessing along this heart road.  I will miss her so much!!  I am so grateful that I got the chance to give her a hug and wish her the best on the next bend in her road.

Joshua told us that next time one of his doctors retires he is going to have his face painted like Batman.  He chose to have black triangles above each eye this time. He kind of looked like a cat.  Lydia just told the face painter to do something beautiful.  They both looked great!  They also got balloons from the clown.  Lydia had a purple sword and belt.  Joshua got an amazing giraffe.  It was fun for both of them.





No comments:

Post a Comment