Sunday, September 8, 2013

Happy September!!

We kicked off the school year with a bang at our house.  Emma and David decided to go to school this year. Emma is in 7th grade at the middle school and David is in 5th grade at Parkside Elementary.  David has Mrs. Shorb and he seems to really like school.  We went to the Parkside Open house on Thursday.  It was fun to go back after being away for the last eight years.  A lot of the teachers remembered us and our older children.  Mr. Jones (the principal) remembered our family and told us how glad he was to have a Waite back at Parkside.  I think David's favorite part of the day is recess and hot lunch.  I am glad he is enjoying his school experience.  I have to admit that I shed  a few tears as I left him and Emma at school on the first morning. I will miss having them home to learn with and lunch time seems so quiet with Rebecca, Bethany, Emma and David gone.  I am glad that they have good schools to go to, and even though I miss them through the day I am glad they have this opportunity.

Emma had a rough couple of first days. She not only started school, but she also started volleyball practice after school. The first day of school was also pack meeting and Young Womens, so she didn't get home until after 9:00 that night.  She was one tired girl.  She has struggled with her locker, but she is a determined person and she is getting better each day.  She has good teachers and I think she will enjoy this school year once she gets past all the stress of starting school.

Julia is a Junior in Wyoming Connections Academy.  She enjoys going to seminary in Brother Shoopman's class.  School keeps her busy. She babysits Junior Zorad a time or two each week.

Matthew is a freshman this year in Wyoming Connections Academy. I thought he might choose to go to the High School, but he decided to stay home.  He is running on the varsity cross country team.  He had his second meet in Sheridan on Saturday.  This year the state meet is in Sheridan so most of the schools wanted to come and try out the course.  He ran it in just over 22 minutes.  He was the 7th runner to finish for Powell.  He enjoys the team dinner and disney movie the night before a meet, probably more than the actual running. 3.1 miles doesn't sound like fun to me, but he is a good runner and it is a good fit for him.

MaryAnne is in third grade in Wyoming Connections Academy.  I really like her teacher, Mrs.Aguirre.  We got a little behind last week, but we'll get caught up.  She likes school so that really helps.

Dallin is in first grade this year. I decided to let him give Wyoming Connections Academy a try this year. He is doing great!! Most days he works really hard in the morning and is done by lunch time.  It is a good fit for him because he loves to check off things he has gotten done.

Joshua and Lydia are good at keeping each other occupied and either out of mischief or into mischief together.  They sure keep me hoping. If it is quiet for too long I better go and find out what they are into.  I found them behind the couch quietly eating a 1 pound bag of M&Ms the other day.  I am not sure how they got it, but they were sure enjoying it.

Neil is in full swing at the college. He doesn't have any afternoon classes to teach this semester, but that doesn't mean he is home all afternoon. He is spending time getting things done at his office. He is teaching an evening class.  It makes it challenging to eat dinner together because he has to leave for his class before five and Matthew and Emma don't finish practice until 5:30. We just do the best we can and know it only lasts until December.

Hopefully the beautiful fall weather is on its way in Powell. Fall is my favorite time of the year. I love the cooler weather, and football.  We went to the Powell game on Friday but we only stayed until half time. Powell was way ahead of Riverton and then it started to rain.  We were sitting on the Riverton side and I was having to be a good neighbor and not cheer to loudly when Powell did well. Matthew thought it was funny to listen to the Riverton fans complain about the calls.

Saturday we listened to the BYU vs. Texas game. It was a good game and I really enjoyed listening to it.

Today I had Sharing time. We had four prophets come and visit Junior Primary. It was a fun sharing time to teach about how prophets have given us an example of service.  This afternoon we skyped with mom and dad.  It was the first time we had talked with them since July first when they left on their mission. It was so fun to see them and hear them. I loved it!! Neil told me I didn't even get too emotional. It was true. I miss them but I am so grateful they are serving a mission together.  What a  great example they are setting for our family.

I'll include a slideshow of some pictures from the happenings at our house lately. Hope you enjoy!!
Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a free picture slideshow

No comments:

Post a Comment